Monday, March 16, 2009

Don't Create gods For Your Children (Part 1)

Several weeks ago Yancey Arrington, our Teaching Pastor, asked if during one of our mid-week worship services I would share my story of coming to faith at a young age . Since my wife, Lisa, also came to faith at a young age and we practically grew up together, I thought it would be good for us to share our stories together. As we started to reflect on our stories and write our talks, I was overcome with gratitude and emotion as I realized how my parents had so greatly influenced my spiritual views and formation. You might think - well DUH. But, as I considered each major area of my spiritual life, I linked everything that I believe and much of my behavior to the spiritual foundation that my parents laid for me. Obviously, God put all of that together.

If you have not gone through the exercise of walking through the 7Gs (Grace, Glorify, Growth, Group, Gifts, Good Stewardship and Go) and considering the impact your childhood had on each of them, I encourage you to take a few minutes and do so. Then, tell your parents how they positively influenced your faith.

Link to our talk from The Gathering March 11, 2009 http://66.241.210.241/uploads/podcast/20090311_TG_TheJourney_1-4.mp3
Part 2 to follow, which may help in understanding the title.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment