Monday, March 16, 2009

Don't Create gods For Your Children (Part 2)

. . . . So, we finished preparing our talks and I drove to Texas A&M to speak to a class on Tuesday evening before we gave our talk on Wednesday evening. As I was driving home, I got a strong impression that I need to include in my talk that "parents should not create gods for their children." A major point in our talks was that parents should make church a priority for themselves and their children. I think a significant struggle for parents today is to live out their priorities in front of their kids. Or, maybe the struggle is more with setting the priorities, rather than just living them out.

But, what kept going through my head as I drove out of College Station on Hwy 6, was that often we create gods that compete with GOD. We put our children in activities that quickly take priority in our lives. Think about it. . . . . . Before you stop reading, understand that I am not saying kids should not be in sports or activities. I have played sports throughout my life. All of my children were involved in sports and other activities. The question is, what is the priority? Does GOD have his rightful place? Or, have we created gods for our children that will compete with GOD for their priority for the rest of their life because of the lessons we have taught them. {Proverbs 22:9 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.}

I am 50 years old. What my parents did the entire time I lived with them is still influencing me today. Consider your children and what foundation you are laying for them. May GOD always be the priority in our life and not just an option. {Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. . . }

No comments:

Post a Comment